Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Okay, so it doesn't always work out

The gelatin pour film transfer experiment did not work out like I planned. First of all, the film still is not dry. Second, I did not leave the transfer on long enough (it should have been three minutes - no one) so the colors were not dark enough. Third, I HAD to play with the film and try to remove it off the substrate before it was dry, so it tore and all the polymer medium is now sitting like a thin film on the tempered glass that I used.

Does this mean I will give up? HELL, NO!

I am just one of those people who has to keep throwing themselves at the wall until I see that it is, indeed, truly a wall. So I need to take my mistakes and learn from them. The first thing will be to set up a fan so the film will dry quicker. I also need to bump up the color on the transfer sheet, and then leave the film on for at least three minutes (like it was recommended. I will switch the substrate to a piece of polyethelyne-line wood. It will be easy enough to ge a piece of 1/4 plywood from a lumber yard, have it cut down into 12x12 inches, and then stretch and staple some polyethelyne sheeting over it. It doesn't need to be thick sheeting, it just needs to be taut. I do know how to stretch a canvas.

And finally, I should not touch the darn thing until it is thoroughly dry.

No comments: