Monday, February 4, 2008

Using scraps

You don't need a lot of money to get art supplies. My favorite source material to work on is old cereal boxes. I save them, flatten them down and when I need some card stock to trade I cut up the box. The scraps go into the recycling bin to get reused to make more cardboard boxes.

I like to save odd things to work into my artwork - fortunes from fortune cookies, the tissue paper that a gift came wrapped in, decorated paper bags, old cards, fashion magazines and junk mail. I can cut up, punch out, gesso over and recycle whatever I need. I use an old 1930s textbook for my art journal. I've glue a couple of pages together, cover with a light coat of gesso, then color with some water soluble crayons (Caran D'ache Neocolor II are my favorites). I then will paste an image somewhere on the page (usually in the corner). The page is ready for me to write on. I work a few pages ahead - so there are always some available should an idea hit me in the middle of the night. I also cut out pages and glue other artwork in. I find old text books the best for altering because they were designed to take abuse. The pages are usually sewn and glued in pretty secure. Children are not kind to their text books.

Old textbooks also make a good source of vintage paper to use for artwork and sometimes the illustrations are worth keeping. Recycling should never be limited to just the blue bins for the trash. Make something into art instead!

No comments: