Monday, February 11, 2008

When inspiration strikes

Sometimes, inspiration can be a bit of costly endeavor. I love to peruse antique stores and flea markets. Most of the time, I have a rule of not paying more than $5 for any one item, because if it's worth more than that, then I shouldn't be making it into a piece of art. Sometimes, I'll flex the rule a little bit, especially when it comes to things I can scan. One such item was a dageurrotype I just had to have. I negotiated the price down a bit and then put a deposit on it because I just didn't have the money and won't until the next payday. It is a wonderfully preserved photo of girl against a rather unusual background of a cityscape. At one point the photo had been tinted a bit - as often was the case back then. The cheeks bear traces of the pink hue. But the contrast is still preserved, and it still sits in its original leather case. How could I pass it up? Sometimes, you just know you'll regret it if you let something go. I am now waiting for payday so I go and pick up my beautiful photo.

No comments: