Saturday, May 23, 2009

Art Creations Friday - Challenge 27


Art Creations Friday's Challenge 27 had a photo of little girl. It reminded me of photos of immigrants. I happened to purchase off of eBay recently some old letters written in Russian. They look like letters to a family member or girlfriend who had immigrated to New York. The letters remind me of stories told by my family about ancestors who immigrated from Russia. Life for people back then was very harsh. Family members would immigrate to the United States, and through community contacts, sponsor other family members to come to the U.S. Sometimes whole villages would be emptied, one person at a time. But there were still members who were either unable to afford the fee or who were unable to immigrate because of war. People eagerly awaited the postal carrier to receive word from their loved ones back home, in the Old Country. The letters I purchased reminded me of this. I scanned them and worked them into this piece of digital art.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful

vintage wil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vintage wil said...

Beautiful atc !!

Femmy said...

beautiful card!! love the background!!

nancy said...

Beautiful composition and a lovely background.